I often struggle with what to eat when I am at home everyday. Today - I had a GREAT lunch. And easy and yummy salad...
And I also made homemade pita chips...with homemade hummus - Yep...so delicious!

Do you ever just crave a salad, but no clue how to pull one together other than put lettuce on a plate with salad dressing and maybe some croutons? Ya'll - this salad is easy and I just made it up!
Terri's Easy Yummy Salad (yep, thats what I call it)
- Lettuce of your choosing (I like the Spring mix!)
- 1 can of mandarin oranges (drain and use as many as you like on your salad
- 1 bag of a "nut" salad topper - I got one with almonds and pecans
- Newmans Own Light Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Mix together
Everything you buy will make several salads so you can make a fresh one every day for lunch for a week or even for dinner! Chuck and I actually had it for dinner the other night and put grilled chicken on it...
I LOVE to much on hummus and pita chips. At our community group last week, one of the girls brought homemade pita chips and told me how to make them. What better to put them to the test with than homemade hummus too! I looked at several recipes online, but then just went for it and added stuff I had in the pantry..
Terri's Garlic & Sun-dried Tomato Hummus
- 1 can Chickpeas
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 sun-dried tomatoes from jar
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- cumin
- parmesan cheese
- In a blender or food processor, blend up chickpeas and garlic. Slowly add in olive oil until you are happy with consistency. Then squirt in some lemon juice add some cumin, salt & pepper and i threw in some parmesan cheese i had in the fridge. Then I chopped up the sun-dried tomatoes and stirred them in! (i made mine kind of thick & chunky which is different than store bought hummus, but very good)
Homemade Pita Chips
- 1 pack of pita bread
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- garlic powder
- parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 325. Stack the pita bread and then cut them in all in half. Then cut each of the halves into quarters. Then pull each triangle apart and lay them on a cookie sheet with the rough, inside of the pita facing up (does that make sense?). Brush each triangle with olive oil then crack pepper over them on throw on some sea salt. I also shook some garlic powder over them along with parmesan cheese. Put in the oven for about 5-10 minutes...BUT keep an eye on them, cause they will crisp up fast!!
Enjoy!
7 comments:
Can't wait to make these pita chips!! Thanks Terri!!
thank you for the recipes... I can't wait to make!!! YUMMY!
YUMMY! Wish I could have been there for that lunch! I have always wanted to try making hummus but have never gotten around to it. Now I am inspired. Sometimes I make pita chips though and they are really good with a little lemon pepper and cumin sprinkled on top! Love!
i have been wanting to make pita chips...but i have been scared to for some reason!
i always make a good salad like this: spring mix, dried cherries, pecans, parmesan cheese, newman's own raspberry vinaigrette....YUMO!
Terri, these look like great recipes! Thanks for sharing. Also, Knox is just too cute! And I love reading your blog and keeping up with you guys, even though I don't really "know" you! :)
I love all of the things you suggested today! Copied, pasted and attempting myself this weekend. :)
Terri, I made your salad yesterday and just had it for dinner too! Simple but delicious. I love the mandarin oranges in it!
Post a Comment