Monday, January 19, 2009

Bring on the food...


So let me just be honest here and lay it out there...I am LOVING food or at least STARTING too. I have definitely been cautious with what I eat since I found out I was pregnant - steering away from things I shouldn't eat...watching the junk...trying to eat lots of fruit and veggies. (Ok, let's be honest - I'm not doing good on the veggie thing so I'm drinking this crazy green drink that get's all my veggies in my body in just a few strange tasting sips...thanks, Jeni!).

Let's just have a really real honest moment. I'm nervous about the changes happening with body! I have never felt better about myself than when I got pregnant. I was smaller than I ever was - loving my size and my weight! So I think I've been a little too protective of what I'm eating.

Anyways - I'm throwing all of my caution to the wind in regards to being careful about not gaining weight. I will still be very careful about about what I shouldn't put in my body...but when it comes to loving yummy food - I'm embracing it. Thanks to my cuz Sheli and her pep talk yesterday...and the Nutty Bar helped my new found passion of food and motto - "Hey it's ok...eat it...you're pregnant". Man - that nutty bars are ridiculous!!!
So let me share with you some of the yummy foods I am digging right now. Let me also preface this with saying - fast food is NOT something Chuck and I eat. We only get it when we have to while traveling and it's usually a Zaxby's Zalad.
  • McDonalds cheeseburgers (with ketchup and mayo of course!) - this is all my friend Doty's fault. She started me on this downhill McDonalds road and now I can't stop eating them. Seriously, since when was a McDonalds hamburger such a glorious thing?
  • Cheetos All Natural Puffs - these are AMAZING. Jeni introduced these to me on my visits to...well who knows where they were living at the time when she sold me on them, but WOW they are good and I feel like I should share their amazingness with everyone I know.
  • Taco Bell Bean, Cheese & Onion burritos - again, haven't eaten these since I was at OBU and seriously - these were probably where all that weight I put on in college came from...the burritos and all the late night runs when I would also get nachos and down it all at 1am...crazy! This yummy snack was my saving grace during my "sick" time.
  • Fried Rice - I will take it from any place...any time. I can't get enough - especially when it comes with a good egg roll and sweet & sour sauce.

Those are currently some of my favorites. But let me share with you the very very depressing part of my existence right now. There is one food. One food in the world that I really do love...and love more than mac and cheese - which is big!!

HOT DOGS!

I know they aren't good for you even when you AREN'T preggers, but you aren't allowed to have them when you are pregnant. If Chuck started tallying the number of times a day I mention how good one would be, his poor arm would be falling off from writing! There is a place around our house that seriously makes the best hot dogs! I haven't had a hot dog like this since the Hot Dog House (which for my old school Prestonwood friends...this was the little hut across the street from the old P-Wood that had hot dogs, good ice...and poppy seed hot dog buns). Anyways, the place by us makes them over a charcoal grill and they guy rolls them constantly and pricks them with this fork thing so all the charcoal flavor is infused in them! WOW! And they guy there pretty much knew Chuck and I (when we were going once a week)...he also called me out on being from Texas when I always ordered mine with ketchup, mayo, shredded cheese and onions.

Ok, I know this is getting long - but get a pregnant woman talking about food and she can't stop!...and I still have a little more to say about hot dogs!  Side note - below is the world champ for eating the most hot dogs - Kobayashi - right now...this picture is like my heaven...only I want the good charcoal hot dogs - not the yucky boiled ones.

So for Chuck's birthday we went to Ruth's Chris. I hated it. Nothing sounded good. The stuffed chicken I ordered stunk (cause I would have rather had some fancy seafood...but thats a entirely different story about how I miss that stuff). So I decided for my birthday meal we are going to one place...for me to have a love affair with something I have been dreaming of...Yep, we are going to go to Barkers Red Hots and I am going to bask in the joy of ONE hot dog! They have no idea the momentous occasion this will be on March 1st! I've been doing alot of research on them to make sure it's ok if I have ONE...and it's cool. This place cooks them well AND they are all beef...the dogs are flown in from New York!!

Sorry that I got carried away. I told you I have a lot on my mind. Chuck - I am SO SO sorry that I have resorted to not only talking about them, but now blogging about them!

Until next time...

5 comments:

Ben, Jenny, Hudson and Sawyer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Allens said...

That's funny! I was a vegetarian for 14 years. Before I got pregnant I had started eating some meat, but I was very picky about it and I did it becuase I should not because I liked it. Once I got pregnant, I wanted hot dogs! I had never, ever wanted a hot dog. The craving did pass, though. I haven't had cravings for the last few months.

Amanda said...

you have to get me the location of this hot dog place! I am a lover of the charcoal hot dogs and can't find a good one here!
Hope to talk to you soon!
Amanda

Terri said...

Amanda - have I not told you about this place/?!!!! Oh my goodness - we are going there for my birthday - ya'll should come! It's called Barkers Red Hots and its on Windy Hill by the fudruckers :)

Unknown said...

you crack me up!!!